Friday, September 28, 2007

No longer a meme virgin...hurrah!

I have been meme'd for the very first time ever!!! When Lane said she'd meme'd me, I didn't have a bloody clue what it meant, being new to this blogging business. I only hoped it didn't hurt. Then I read her blog and Jen at work enlightened me. I have to say it's all very exciting. Just thinking that someone wants my opinion on something gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Of course she might just have been desperate for a fifth person, but I'm choosing to believe the former. Anyway, enough of the pleasantries. Here goes:

Total number of books: A few hundred. If I didn't live in a matchbox there would be walls of bookshelves, but space is an issue. There isn't a room in my apartment without reading material.

Last book read: Currently reading Fame Fatale, a feisty little romp by Wendy Holden.

Last book bought: Bright Lights, Big Ass, by Jen Lancaster. I laughed so hard I think I might have peed a little. (Too much information?)

Five meaningful books: It's sad really but I'm just not that deep, however I'll give it a whack anyway.

Anything by Dr. Seuss. Loved him as a child, love him still. I think he has somehow shaped the life and imagination of any child who has read him.

The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Read it initially in high school. It has everything you could ever want in a novel and it is so beautifully crafted. It made me realise how effortless writing can seem.

Oliver Twist by Dickens. Saw the musical film first as a child and developed a huge crush on the character, or maybe developed a huge crush on Mark Lester who played Oliver. Then years later I read it and loved every word of it.

The Reader by Bernard Schlink. It's a story about the nature of love and whether or not love can survive the unfathomable. Very provocative.

The Other Side of the Story by Marion Keyes. It's just a good, funny story, but it focuses on the publishing industry from three different perspectives, so it was meaningful for me. A good laugh is always meaningful for me.

So, there you have it. Now, in the tradition of the meme, I'm supposed to tag five more victims...er, enthusiastic, willing participants. I would like to hear what Travis Erwin, Sarah G, Terrie Farley Moran, Juliette M and KeVin K have to say about this.

4 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Knowing you have a warm fuzzy feeling, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling:))

Great choices.....

Love Bernard Schlink.
Lurve Ms Keyes too although I think we will need to grow big muscles for her stonkingly big new one:))

x

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

I didn't know what memed meant either. In fact what does meme mean? I, like you, was very flattered although I ended up liking a book that Lane hated but that's allowed - I think:)
I loved The Other Side of the Story too but gave up with her other books apart from Sushi for Beginners although didn't like the third heroine (forgotten her name)

Travis Erwin said...

Sorry, I haven't stopped in lately so I just saw this. I'll post mine within a few days.

Liane Spicer said...

Damn, now I have more books to add to my wish list - which is growing at a really scary rate.

I'm with you on Oliver Twist. I read the book then saw the movie, and it was the only movie that lived up to the book, imo.