Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall cleaning

I started a story a little over a year ago, but ten pages in I put it aside to work on the Effing Novel From Hell. The idea has wandered into my thoughts a handful of times since I put it away, but I've always managed to simply scrawl one or two brief notes on a post-it or the back of a grocery receipt and banish it to the shoe box of random ideas under the bed until I finish ENFH and can devote my undivided attention to it. That all changed Friday night.

I was watching Sex and the City on DVD - the episode where Big drives out to Aidan's house in the country to cry on Carrie's shoulder over some snooty actress who doesn't deserve him. Classic episode - moving on. I'm not sure what part of the show made my story pop into my head but it did. With a vengeance. I had to find it and reread it immediately and, with any luck, whip off ten more pages in an hour and a half then stand back in awe of my sudden bolt of inspiration.

I opened the file box marked, ever so originally, STORY IDEAS and opened the pink folder I had filed the story in. But it wasn't there. I scanned through the rest of the folders for the pages. No luck. I looked through all of them again but it was definitely not there. Somewhat perplexed, I opened the desk drawer, but all I found was a box of paper clips, two erasers, an exacto knife, a roll of Scotch tape, two keys that must open something, although what I have absolutely no idea, and half a box of Smarties that have been there so long that the packaging has since changed. No papers of any sort, unless you count the cardboard insert on the Scotch tape. I systematically went through the heap of yet-to-be-filed papers that have been piled on the second shelf of my bookcase since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but the story remained elusive.

It was about that time that all hell broke loose. We've all experienced it - the volatile cocktail of confusion, panic and sheer frustration that compels us to rip through an apartment like a category five hurricane, leaving untold chaos and destruction in our wake. I turned things over, emptied things out, pulled things down, strew things from one end of the flat to the other. Somewhere in this heap were ten pages I had a feeling I would never see again, no matter how hard I searched for them. I resigned myself to the fact, made tea and started on the Smarties, still delicious after all those years.

It took three days to sort through the wreckage. In the recesses of my brain I suppose I thought I might come across the pages during the clean up operation. But as I placed the last box on the shelf, I solemnly accepted the loss and vowed to move on.

Yesterday my earring rolled under the couch. I reached to retrieve it and my fingertips brushed across the dog-eared edges of what felt like ten sheets. I pulled the stack out and skimmed the first few pages. But the mood had passed. I filed them in the pink folder.

9 comments:

Rachel Green said...

I'm sure the inspiration will return!

Lane Mathias said...

At least you know it's there now, when the moment strikes again.

What is it with keys? There must be millions of locked doors out there hiding untold treasures whilst the keys rattle around at the back of drawers....

x

CL Taylor said...

So glad you found them - I was feeling all stressed on your behalf. It's a shame the moment had passed by the time you found them but I'm sure it'll come back again.

Jen said...

Oh, what agony. I think striking while the iron's hot is crucial with this writing malarkey.

At least you'd have burned up the Smarties calories with all that fevered searching!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Oh Mince as the french say!

ps popped in to say hello as a new novel racer!

Juliette M said...

I'm so glad you found them! I was angsting along with you while I was reading your post. I hope the inspiration strikes again soon!

Travis Erwin said...

Your organizational skills sound a lot like mine. Glad you found your pages. It is heartbreaking to have to start over again from scratch.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hello Helen,

I saw your post on Travis Erwin's blog and thought it was entertaining so I wandered over to say hi. I read all your posts and as an aspiring writer (first short story to be published November 1) I really enjoyed what you have to say.

I am an American, looking for an American agent, I think your postage situation would have completely undone me.

Terrie

krispy said...

I"m thinking I would have left it under the couch. Filing is overrated. Next time you go to find it, it might well be in the freezer with those M&Ms from the 80s,before they had faces and snide little attitudes.