Monday, September 10, 2007

Let's talk a little bit about rejection.

A few days ago I received my first rejection letter and, while I'm not planning on jumping off a bridge any time soon, I'm a little disappointed. But I'll get over it. At first, I wasn't sure if a form rejection letter, all printed up on rather impressive agency letterhead, made me a bonafide writer or if it just made me a very bad one. I have since decided that it takes more than one agent's opinion to confirm, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I am absolute crap, so I will reserve judgement until at least ten reputable agencies have told me to sod off. To give credit to the agency, the letter was nice. It didn't come right out and say 'You're absolute crap, Shearer, but we hear that McDonald's is hiring, so all is not lost.' It just said something along the lines of 'We certainly don't want you, but keep on trying.' Which I suppose is standard, but it made my first rejection that much easier to take. I'm thinking that literary agencies should offer courses in tactful rejection to teenage boys. It might help to reduce the instances of low self-esteem in teenage girls, but that's another topic altogether.

My next step is to send my manuscript to more agents. Submitting a manuscript, if the agents' websites are to be believed, is moronically simple. Send a cover letter (easy peasy - If you can't write a decent cover letter you have no business trying to write a novel), a short synopsis (one page - think blurb), the first three chapters, unbound, double-spaced, printed on one side of the paper, and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Straight forward.

I decided to go with a British agent because, while I have lived in Canada for most of my life, I am still a British citizen. I wrote the cover letter and synopsis, printed the entire package and stuffed it all into the envelope. A quick visit to Canada Post and it would be off to London where, after reading it, the agent would be so impressed that he'd offer me a multi-book deal and a sizeable enough advance that I could quit my office job and stay home to write, in my jammies, full-time. I know, I know, that sort of thing rarely happens, but if you can't have your self-indulgent little fantasies, is life really worth living? I think perhaps not.

It turns out that Canada Post doesn't carry foreign postage. I went to their website, the postal outlet down the road and their corporate headquarters. No dice. So I went to the Royal Mail website to order UK postage straight from the source. You can order stamps from their site quickly and easily, but only in enormous quantities, and although I understand that postal costs are always rising, I was quite sure I would never get through hundreds of pounds' worth of stamps. I was happy to discover that they offer a print-your-own postage option. You figure out how much you need, place your order, type in your credit card number and print. Perfect!

Or not. Printed postage must be used within two days. No good. By the time my manuscript travelled to London, sat in the slush pile, got read and sent back, four to six weeks would have elapsed, and although I'm quite certain the Royal Mail staff are lovely people, expecting them to extend the deadline for printed postage usage by several weeks hardly seemed realistic. In desperation, I rang the British High Commission. Their slogan is 'Britain In Canada' but it should really be 'Everything From Britain In Canada Except Bloody Stamps'. Finally I phoned Royal Mail and spoke to a splendid young man called Ryan (if I remember correctly), who assured me that I could order a small quantity of stamps but they would take several weeks to arrive. Defeated, I ordered them and settled in for the wait. I decided it was a perfect opportunity to proofread my first forty-six pages yet again.

Here's what I don't quite understand. We can put a man on the moon, break the sound barrier and send text messages to the farthest reaches of Outer Mongolia in a fraction of a second but getting a few quids' worth of stamps from the motherland in a reasonable amount of time seems beyond the realm of possibility. How can that be? Some authors will tell you that slogging through the middle third of their novel is the most difficult part of getting a book published. Others will tell you it's finding an agent. I'm inclined to believe it's actually procuring the postage for the self-addressed, stamped effing envelope!

4 comments:

Rachel Green said...

Hi there; fellow Novel Racer here.

Just a quick tip: Never name an agency. Others will look at your blog when you send them manuscripts and they'll be put off.

Good luck with the search for stamps. I could just post you some if you like.

KeVin K. said...

'nuther Novel Racer here.

Good attitude on the rejection. One of the advantages of being a short story writer first is you get hundreds of those things fairly rapidly and develop a thick skin early on. (And -- once you learn to tell them from the form letters -- a rejection letter someone actually wrote to you is a significant milestone in your progress toward publication.)

btw: Getting rejection letter doesn't make you a real writer. You became a real writer when you submitted your work to a porfessional market.

Graeme K Talboys said...

Yet another Novel Racer.

My first book was rejected by more than a hundred publishers before it got into print, so keep going.

Rejection is as much (if not more) to do with the personal taste of an agent, how full their books are, whether they're handling similar material at the moment, or just having a bad day (they are human, after all).

Keep trying, postage problems notwithstanding.

Sarah*G* said...

Another racer here! Good luck with your most recent submissions to UK agents. Hope they give you positive responses! :)
I am hoping to send my writing off in the new year. If I ever get it finished that is and don't keep finding other things to do.